Friday, February 26, 2010

Cazuca

Cazuca is a neighborhood on the southern outskirts of Bogota.  It's one of several neighborhoods populated mainly by displaced people.  These are people who lost everything fleeing their homes because of the conflict; often, they are the victims of people targeting them in order to take over their land.  These are people with traditions rooted strongly in the lifestyle of the campo and of farming, who know how to make their living using skills related to that lifestyle-- and who are now uprooted and forced into a city where few of those skills and traditions are relevant.  It's a very poor area.

My NGO partners with a children's organization in Cazuca called Growing Together.  One Thursday, my coworker and I took the hour and a half-long busride to Cazuca to visit them. Here is what Cazuca looks like:



1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of Tegucigalpa in Honduras. Although I believe it was on a smaller scale than this.

    ReplyDelete